To manage assets on OP Mainnet (or, for that matter, any other Ethereum style network) you need a wallet to interact with the blockchain. Here are the steps to use the MetaMask wallet inside a web browser (when running on a desktop: Windows, MacOS, or Linux).
- Browse to the MetaMask website.
- Scroll down and click Install MetaMask for <browser name>.
- Follow the directions, which vary a bit between browsers. On Chrome click Add to Chrome and then Add extension.
- When the MetaMask tab opens, click Get Started.
- Assuming you do not have an existing wallet, click Create a Wallet.
- Choose whether you agree to provide usage data to MetaMask.
- Choose a password, enter it twice, accept the license agreement, and click Create.
- Watch the video and click Next.
- MetaMask will now create your secret recovery phrase, also known as the mnemonic. This is your identity, it is very important to protect it:
* If you lose it, you will not be able to access any assets or applications it protects.
* If somebody else gets it, that person will be able to pretend to be you.
Click CLICK HERE TO REVEAL SECRET WORDS and write them down somewhere safe.
- Click Next.
- Prove to MetaMask you have a copy of your secret recovery phrase by clicking the words in the correct order and then Confirm.
- Click All Done.
- The next step is to add OP Mainnet to MetaMask. To do that, click Ethereum Mainnet > Add network.
- Click Add in the Optimism row (Optimism used to also refer to OP Mainnet).
- Click Approve.
- Click Switch to Optimism.
- Congratulations, you can now use OP Mainnnet on MetaMask. The next step is to deposit ETH into OP Mainnet. If there is a problem, browse here (to chainid.link) and click connect.