Join the ecosystem that is scaling Ethereum's technology while also scaling its values through retroactive public goods funding.
To start using the variety of apps across DeFi, NFT, Gaming, and more on Optimism you'll need a wallet with some ETH to cover transaction costs.
If you're brand new to crypto, no problem! It only takes 3 steps:
2. Add the Optimism network to your wallet (optional)
Keep reading for more detailed steps!
Step 1 - Download a wallet
Your wallet is like your universal account — instead of creating new accounts on every website, just connect your wallet to use apps on Optimism. Wallets allow you to store digital assets like ETH and interact with apps on the Optimism network.
There are many different wallets to choose from.
If you're new to Optimism, the recommended wallets from the community are:
- Rainbow Wallet (Mobile - iOS, Android)
- Coinbase Wallet (Mobile - iOS, Android and Chrome extension)
Additionally, you can view some of the most popular wallets people are using with Optimism on our ecosystem page.
Step 2 - Add the Optimism network to your wallet (optional)
Optimism support is already enabled on Coinbase Wallet and Rainbow Wallet by default. To add Optimism to MetaMask follow this guide.
Step 3 - Fund your wallet with ETH
To try an app on Optimism you'll need ETH to pay for transaction fees. You can deposit ETH directly onto Optimism from a debit or credit card, an exchange, or from other blockchains using a bridge.
There are three main options to get ETH onto Optimism:
- Centralized Exchange (recommended)
- You can buy ETH to use on Optimism from exchanges like Binance, Coinbase, etc. Visit our deposit guide to find your exchange specific guide.
- Bridging from Ethereum to Optimism? Our official bridge can get you there in no time.
- Need to deposit from another chain? Third party bridges can help you bridge assets from other blockchains to Optimism. To view a list of bridges visit our ecosystem page.
- By card
- Payment service providers allow you to buy Ethereum on Optimism with a debit/credit card or Apple Pay. To view a list of on-ramps visit our ecosystem page.
You're all set to explore Optimism!
Made it this far? Congratulations! If you've followed the above steps you now have a wallet thats funded and setup to use on Optimism.
If you have any questions reach out to #user-support on Discord!