Bedrock is the upcoming new release of Optimism, but out in Q4 2022. Here are the most visible changes (from the user and dapp developer perspectives):
- The L1 security fee will be lower. Bedrock will use a much more efficient compression algorithm, and avoid calling a CTC chain contract.
- Blocks will be produced every two seconds, of the number of transactions. Some blocks will be empty, others filled to the block gas limit.
- Optimism will use the same EIP 1559 mechanism as L1 Ethereum (for the L2 execution fee).
- Rather than accepting or rejecting transactions immediately, the sequencer will store them in a private mempool, and use priority fees to order them.
- Deposits (transactions from L1 Ethereum to Optimism) will be processed by verifiers even when the sequencer is down, so the sequencer will be unable to delay transactions submitted on L1.
- Address aliasing will now apply to withdrawals (transactions from Optimism to L1 Ethereum) in addition to deposits.
Note that the is not going to be a regenesis. The transaction history since November 11th, 2021, will stay available.
For more detailed information, see our developer docs.